Kipinas monastery although a very small monastery as it housed only 3 monks when it was in its heyday, is quite impressive. Built in this rock since 1212 and dedicated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary, the name of the monastery probably originates from the nearby gardens ("κήπος" - kipos in Greek) that the monks used to cultivate. It was the work of a group of monks who set out from the nearby Vyliza Monastery to establish a new order after a disagreement with their abbot. The monastery has a wooden bridge that at that time it was movable. The monks used to raise the bridge in order to protect themselves from any raiders. The fortress-like structure was put to good use when, years later, another danger materialized. From the 14th to the 19th century, the Ottoman Empire occupied the Eastern Roman Empire and persecuted the original inhabitants. Inside the monastery, there is a cave that originally had the purpose of a hideout and served as a shelter. Later still, during the Greek Revolution (1821–1832), when Greece fought for independence from the Ottomans, the monastery functioned as a hidden arsenal. All the frescoes in the monastery date back to the 17th century.
Nowadays, there are no monks in the monastery. Since 1920, no monks have lived at the monastery. The structure now serves as a museum.
High-quality imagery by Elias Pentikis provided with a 30-day money-back guarantee from Fine Art America. Canvas prints, metal prints, fine art paper prints, framed prints.
November 6th, 2021
Viewed 40 Times - Last Visitor from Torrance, CA on 08/17/2023 at 12:44 PM